Saturday, September 22, 2012

Candy Toast

  I'm sitting here thinking about my brother, Danny.  He was killed last year in an industrial accident at work. One of the last times I went to his house with my family, he surprised me by making something he and my sister Bev and I enjoyed growing up.  Candy Toast.  My mom used to make it for us when we were kids.  I very very rarely have it anymore and my husband thinks it's weird :)
   Basically, candy toast is just chocolate peanut butter fudge poured over toast while it's still hot and you can eat it hot or let it set up and eat it cold.  The toast kind of cuts back on the sugary-ness of the fudge and compliments it well.  I know, it sounds weird if you haven't grown up on it like we have, but it's very yummy :)  It was a really special thing for him to do for me because it told me that he had fond memories of something from childhood he shared with me and wanted to re-create it for me.  That speaks love to me.  I miss you, Danny! :(

 Anyway...I thought I would share the recipe here for you. The fudge part is the recipe that used to be on the side of the old Hershey's cocoa boxes (those tin or aluminum brown boxes that holds baking cocoa).  Here it is:



CANDY TOAST

2/3 cup cocoa
3 cups sugar
1/8 tsp. salt
1 cup milk
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup peanut butter
1 tbsp. vanilla

Stir cocoa, sugar, salt, milk, and water in a saucepan.  Bring to a bubbly boil stirring constantly.  When on a hard boil, wait till a drop of the fudge mixture stays in a soft ball when dropped in cold water (or test with a candy thermometer and take it to the Soft Ball stage).  Remove from heat and add peanut butter and vanilla. Stir till mixed and either pour into buttered pie pans or over dry toast.


I looked for a picture from the web to share with this recipe, but couldn't find one.  I guess I'm just going to have to make a batch to share pictures from it.  Sigh...if I HAVE to...hehe :)  Only for my blog's sake of course ;)

UPDATE:
   I just remembered I have pictures from that night.  Here's my brother Danny making the candy toast:

My brother Danny making candy toast 
My brother Danny making candy toast

My brother Danny making candy toast


Here it is ready to eat. Yum!  I guess this means I don't have to make it to take pictures to share.  Darn :)
Chocolate Candy Toast!

Danny and I shortly afterwards. It was the 4th of July, 2007 and we were waiting for the fireworks to begin. 

My brother Danny and I.  July 2007

My cutie pie son, Evan (4 years old at the time) about to try his first bite of candy toast :) (I'll find any excuse to show a picture of my baby boy hehe)

Cutie Pie Evan July 2007


If you try it, you'll like it! :)




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave your input! I look forward to reading your comments and getting to know you better!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Find us on Google+