Friday, February 15, 2013

Cowboy Meatloaf and Potato Casserole

   Wow, am I behind in blogging! Sorry, but life has been really at me lately! Lots of issues to work through...ugh...
   However, I thought I would share a recipe with you all today that we tried last night. I found it on...yep...you guessed it...Pinterest :)
   It's called Cowboy Meatloaf and Potato Casserole and Pinterest got it from over at Simmer for 10.
It was delish!


Here's the recipe and I'll tack on the changes I made at the end:

Cowboy Meatloaf and Potato Casserole

1 pckg of steam n' mash potatoes
1 lb ground beef
3/4 c onion, finely chopped
1/3 c Italian bread crumbs
1/4 c Sweet Baby Rays original bbq sauce
1 egg lightly beaten
2 tsp chili powder
3/4 tsp salt
2/3 c evaporated milk
1 tbsp butter
1 c crumbled bacon (I used real bacon bits)
1/3 cup crispy fried onions, crumbled
2/3 c shredded Mexican blend cheese

Preheat the oven to 375°. Coat a 9x9 baking dish with nonstick spray.  In a bowl, combine the beef, onion, breadcrumbs, bbq sauce, egg, chili powder and salt until mixed well.  Press into the bottom of the baking dish.

Bake uncovered for 20-25 minutes, or until cooked through.  Pour of the excess fat.  Adjust the oven to broil and place oven rack 6-8" from heat source.

Meanwhile, microwave the potatoes according to package instructions. In a large bowl, mix together potatoes, butter and evaporated milk with a mixer until smooth.  Stir in bacon and fried onions.  Spread evenly on top of beef mixtures and sprinkle with cheese.

Broil for about 5 minutes until the cheese is lightly browned.

This serves about 6 people.  Delicious. 

Helen’s Changes:
I used less than half the salt, I used 1/3 cup BBQ sauce instead of 1/4 cup (actually it could have used more as I wound up putting some on the side and dipping my meatloaf into it).  I did't use quite as much chili powder as it said. I think I used about  1 ½ tsp. where it called for 2. I used a packet of Idahoan mashed potatoes instead of the Steam n Mash as I didn’t have the Steam n Mash and it was fine (I'll have to try the Steam n Mash sometime).  Oh, and I only used  1/2 C. bacon (if that) instead of a whole cup.

My husband loved it (and he isn't usually too eager to brag on something he didn't make :) ) and told me to have it that way all the time.  To use my regular meatloaf (he loves my  meatloaf) and do the potatoes on top this way from now on :)

I think next time I try this version of the recipe, I'll use more BBQ sauce as you really couldn't taste it in the meatloaf.  I tend to be a catsup person with meatloaf myself, but Sweet Baby Rays tastes good on just about anything :)

4 comments:

  1. I'm not a big meatloaf person but if I was, this recipe would be on my meal list for this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks delicious. Thanks for including the adjustments you made, I often find that very helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks ladies :) My family tries to opt for low sodium foods after my husband's renal failure started in 2006. I tend to not salt much of my food anyway as the packaged, canned, and frozen foods you get from the grocery store are already laden with a lot of salt. The rest was just taste preference :) I'm loving Pinterest-found recipes :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been cooking without salt after my husband developed congestive heart failure which has been over 12 years ago. He passed away in 2012. There are few items that do need a dash of salt, like potatoes!!

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave your input! I look forward to reading your comments and getting to know you better!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Find us on Google+